Thursday, August 11, 2011

REVIEW -COLD WEATHER

Yea, i know. I have been bad and and neglecting my blog. I have been watching movies on netflix but have not seen any that have inspired me to review. I saw this movie in the theater a few months ago, it just got added to netflix streaming today so it now falls under my jurisdiction. yay!  I paid money to see this movie because i was intrigued by the idea of a "mumblecore thriller" and what that might actually look like.  Basically  COLD WEATHER combines the usual post -college whiny white middle class slacker characters /low budget approach but adds elements of the thriller genre.( shady characters,a briefcase of money,a missing woman,etc.)  The film was shot in portland with great use of the city's grey weather and old building to create a threatening atmosphere. In most thrillers the end of the film is a big showdown between the main character and the forces of evil but since this is mumblecore, the climax never comes. This movie wasn't much of a thriller to be honest. Instead it was a clever character piece about the ups and downs of a friendship between a brother and a sister.Please add it to your queue if you are  interested in seeing a good independant film and check out other films from  director Aaron Katz- DANCE PARTY USA  and QUIET CITY.                                

No comments:

Post a Comment